The last few days we have all come down with the snotty sniffles. Even Sam, although he doesn't seem to have it as bad as the other boys. Hooray for the immune building properties of breast milk! Fingers crossed it doesn't work it's way to Isaac's chest, his asthma has been under control the last few months.
What better way to make my boys and I feel a little brighter then banana cake with lemon butter icing. I absolutely adore banana cake I would choose it over chocolate any day. I think this may be my perfect recipe. Soft and light, with lots of banana goodness and a little bit caramely. The little zing of the lemon icing tops it off nicely, but you could ice it with chocolate, caramel or passionfruit.
I do think you absolutely need to use brown sugar. It is what gives it it's lovely caramel flavour.
Banana Cake
100g softened butter
3/4 C brown sugar
2 eggs
1/4 plain yoghurt
2 ripe bananas, mashed
1 1/2 C self raising flour, sifted
1 tspn cinnamon
Preheat oven to 180 C
Cream butter and sugar together in a bowl. Add eggs one at a time and beat until mixture is well combined and fluffy.
Stir in yoghurt and bananas, then fold in flour and cinnamon, until combined.
Spread into a lined loaf tin and bake for 50 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
Cool completely before icing
Lemon Butter Icing
1 C icing sugar
2 Tbsp butter, softened
Juice of half a lemon
Place all ingredients in a bowl and stir until all combined. Add more lemon juice for a runnier icing, if you don't want your icing to lemony add milk.
Spread on to cold banana cake, enjoy with a cuppa.

Yes I'm with you prefering banana over chocolate cake.
ReplyDeleteGood idea using brown sugar too.
x
Banana is definitely the favourite here too and I am loving the addition of both the brown sugar and plain yoghurt..thinking I might make it today :)
ReplyDeletex
Yum! I was just proclaiming my banana cake (Stephanie Alexander's recipe) to be the best ever. But this one looks quite fine! x
ReplyDelete