Friday, 22 February 2013
Sugar Free "Nut-ella"
Four weeks ago I quit sugar. It was one of the best decision I have made for my health, both body and mind. I go through my day with a clear head and don't suffer from energy slumps and headaches. The little weight loss I have experienced is just an added bonus. I also find myself less likely to snap at the boys or over react, I like being happy mum.
I used Sarah Wilson's book I Quit Sugar as I guide. It is full of really helpful tips, fact and yummy recipes. As a treat for the boys and me I decided to give her version of Nutella a go. Oh my goodness. So very yummy. Super easy to make, as long has you have a reasonable food processor.Getting the skins off the hazelnuts after roasting is perhaps the most tedious thing but it's no biggy and completed in moments. we enjoy ours with bread or a sneaky spoonful when the kids aren't looking. I'm looking forward to trying it on hot croissants this weekend.
Sugar Free 'Nut-ella' by Sarah Wilson 'I Quit Sugar'
1 cup hazelnuts
125mls coconut milk
80mls rice malt syrup
1 tablespoon macadamia oil (or coconut oil, that's what I used)
1/4 cup raw cacao powder (I used ordinary cocoa)
1 tablespoon vanilla powder (I used 2 teaspoons of alcohol free vanilla extract)
Preheat oven to 180C. Bake the hazel nuts on a roasting tray for about 10 minutes, till browned and smelling yummy. Rub off most of the skins as they can be bitter.
I did this by rubbing a hand full of nuts together in my hands then picking out the peeled nuts.
Grind the nuts in a food processor until smooth.
I processed mine until they had turned in to a runny nut butter, there was still a bit of graininess.
Add the remaining ingredients and process until mixed well.
After tasting it at this stage I add a little extra rice syrup.
Pour into a jar. I filled 1 jam jar. Keep in the fridge for several weeks. If it lasts that long!
Labels:
food,
recipe,
sugar free
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Isn't Sarah's program brilliant? I originally followed the Sweet Poison way to sugar free but as happens fell off the wagon then found Sarah's blog.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing this recipe, I refuse to buy Nutella but I am positive the kids will thank me for making this :)
x
I think she's great, matter of fact and not preachy. Hope you do try it, it's so yum.
DeleteKatexx