This past week we have all come down with the dreaded spring time cold. The one where the glorious weather outside beckons you, but all you can do is lie on the couch and let the boys watch Horton Hears a Who, again. Every single one of us has the irritating cough and the sore red raw nose. We are not a pretty bunch at the moment, but at least we have each other for company.
In winter we would be drinking soothing teas and soups, but the weather is warm and anything hotter than room temperature leaves me feeling clammy and hot. So I decided to make up a batch of ginger syrup.
I love ginger, ginger bread would have to be my most favourite cake, I love it in stir fries and added to my green smoothie in the morning.
I began making my own ginger syrup or cordial, when I was pregnant with Cohen for my morning sickness and then indigestion because ginger has a soothing effect on nausea and digestive problems. I would sip with water throughout the day
Ginger has also been used has a cold remedy for centuries and also act as a natural decongestant, breaking up phlegm and making it easier to expel mucus. Check out here for more ginger goodness
We have our ginger syrup diluted with water, like cordial. I like having it with soda water so it’s like ginger beer. It’s not just for sickness either. It makes the perfect refreshing summer time drink or a really yummy addition to Christmas punch.
Ingredients notes
In my recipe I have use rice bran syrup because we try to reduce the amount of refined cane sugar that we consume. Feel free to make light sugar syrup instead. I have also used jarred grated ginger as getting really fresh ginger around these parts is practically impossible. I used the Rosella brand as it only contains ginger and vinegar and not a list of preservatives and sugar.
Ginger Syrup (makes a jar or two)
One jar of rice bran syrup
2 tablespoons grated ginger
Water.
In a saucepan pour in entire jar of rice bran syrup then fill the same jar with water and add to pan.
Stir over a low heat until combined. Add ginger and bring a simmer.
Simmer for 15 minutes then switch off heat. Let cool completely, the longer you leave it the stronger the flavour becomes. Strain and pour into a clean, sterile jar or bottle.
Store in the refrigerator for about two weeks.
You can leave the little ginger pieces in the syrup if you like but I strain because the boys don’t appreciate the floaties.
Don’t throw away the ginger, it has become candy like and delicious; stir it through cakes or muffins or dark chocolate.
Do you have a natural cold and flu remedy?


Oh, that sounds really great. I loathe getting colds in Spring and Summer. At least in Winter you can stay in your PJ's, curl up with a blanket and a cup of tea and feel miserable for a bit and then get better. In the warmer seasons it just all feels wrong and it's so hard to feel comforted! I hope you are all well again soon. I have pinned your recipe for future use. :)
ReplyDelete